What is a SneakerHead exactly? The term seems to have had come out of nowhere and has stuck ever since.
Personally, I don’t like being categorized as a ‘SneakerHead’… I almost feel as if being a SneakerHead for most of us is a fad or the ‘in’ thing. I remember as a kid when marbles and pogs were the ‘in’ thing. It didn’t last too long but you can bet your bottom dollar I did what I could to get my hands on as many as possible. That is somewhat how if feels to be passionate about sneakers for so long and then all of a sudden there are SneakerHeads running around claiming that if you aren’t into sneakers, then you are missing that swag factor.
While I pondered whether or not to write about this subject I decided to Google Search the term, SneakerHead, and see what came up. To my surprise this is what I found…
These 4 definitions were taken from Urban Dictionary, you know… because SneakerHead isn’t a real word so at this point in time it’s currently unlisted in an actual Dictionary.
1. A person who collects limited, rare, OG, or flat out exclusive kicks. Usually the collection consists of Jordan’s or Dunks.
2. A person with background knowledge of certain sneakers.
3. Somebody who owns a number of sneakers and is always up on the latest J’s that come out. Their collections consist of rare, vintage, and collectable sneakers from classic Chuck Taylor’s to custom Nikes.
4. Someone who shows a great passion and knowledge for kicks ; you don’t necessarily need a lot of kicks. If you don’t know whats on your feet, you’re a hype.
Number two & four are the only definitions that I can partially agree with, partially being the key word. Number one & three sound like they were written by hype obsessed teenagers.
Now this definition is taken from Wiktionary… I honestly had no idea there was a Wiktionary until now!
1. (slang) A person who owns multiple pairs of shoes as a form of collection and fashion. It is often manifest by the use of shoes primarily made for sports such as tennis or basketball as normal everyday clothing.
Again, I can partially agree… however those of us who have been into sneakers ever since we can remember can agree on one thing, we are 100% addicted to shoes.
With so many definitions claiming to belong to the term ‘SneakerHead’, which one is it?
Are you a SneakerHead or are you addicted to kicks, is there even a difference; Is being a SneakerHead just a fad or have we always been roaming around the world nameless until now?
This discussion literally has no write or wrong answer so please feel free to discuss your thoughts on the term SneakerHead below.
Image Via Yaboylv